Transfer Station

Site Manager:  Bob Matuszkiewicz
Telephone:  860-349-8702

Address: Cherry Hill Road, near the RT 147 intersection.


Monday:     8:00 am to 7:45 pm
Thursday:  8:00 am to 7:45 pm
Saturday:   8:00 am to 3:00 pm

Holiday closures and rescheduled days are announced in the “Latest News & Announcements” on the home page, and on the calendar.

Advisory Board:  The Durham Middlefield Interlocal Agreement Advisory Board (DMIAAB)



EVERYTHING You Ever Wanted to Know About Your Transfer Station (FLYER).

GUIDE TO RECYCLING – “What’s In/What’s Out” – Paper, Metal, Glass, and Plastic

GUIDE TO RECYCLING – “What’s In/What’s Out”Cartons

GUIDE TO RECYCLING – “WHAT DO I DO WITH ____??? (SEARCH TOOL), or, get the APP via the Apple App Store or Google Play.

CONSTRUCTION and DEMOLITION Materials Management


Household Hazardous Waste

Shredding Confidential Paper


Prescription/OTC Medications & Drugs



Permits are renewable annually on July 1st.

Permits are purchased at the DMIAAB Transfer Station.  The following is required:

      1. Annual fee of $50.
      2. Proof of Residency in Durham or Middlefield must be verified by a valid Drivers License.
      3. Automobile Registration must verify that the vehicle to which the transfer station permit is affixed is registered in Durham or Middlefield.

PRIVATE HAULERS:  See DMIAAB Document “Solid Waste Permitting for Private Haulers”

Composting Project

Help reduce waste by participating in the residential home Composting Project.  It’s estimated that household waste by weight is 25-40% compostable food waste!

What Can I Bring without a Fee?

Regular Household Garbage
Recyclable Paper (cardboard, newspaper, junk mail, books, phone books, etc):  See guide above for “What’s In/What’s Out.”
Recyclable Plastic (#1-7), Aluminum, Glass:  See guide above for “What’s In/What’s Out.”  Must be empty, clean, rinsed and open.  Can be mixed together.

Scrap metal:  Items must be drained of any oil or gasoline.  Place in designated area.
Electronics: Place in designated trailer.

Brush:  Up to 4″ in diameter and not longer than 8′ in length.
Leaves:  Must be emptied from bags in designated area.

Antifreeze, Motor Oil: Place in designated area.

Mattress & Box Spring:  Place in designated trailer.

What Can I Bring for a Fee?

Demolition Material – shingles, sheetrock, etc $0.07 per pound ($3 min)
Wood/Lumber – scrap, furniture, painted $0.07 per pound ($3 min)
Appliances – with Freon $10.00 each
Furniture – padded $10.00 each
Toilet $5.00 each
Sink $3.00 each
Tires (Passenger, Light Truck) $5.00 each

What Can’t I Bring?

NO wood larger than 4″ in diameter.
NO clean fill (rocks, concrete, dirt, etc.).
NO paint  – Find free drop-off locations with the PaintCare program.    PaintCare brochure.

NO HAZARDOUS WASTE:  These items can be disposed at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection.


      • Cleaners
      • Mothballs
      • Photo chemicals
      • Full/partially-full aerosols
      • Arts & crafts supplies
      • Batteries:   button, lithium, or recyclable
      • Mercury Thermometers
      • Fluorescent light bulbs


      • Hand-held propane torch cylinders
      • Old chemistry kits
      • Transmission fluid
      • Gasoline, kerosene
      • Waxes and polishes
      • Brake fluid


      • Wood strippers
      • PAINT – Oil-based , Latex, Lead-based
      • Paint thinner
      • Degreasers
      • Solvents
      • Sealants


      • Weed killer
      • Insect sprays
      • Rodent poison
      • Muriatic acid/pool chemicals
      • Cesspool cleaners

Town Offices Address

Town of Middlefield
393 Jackson Hill Rd
P.O. Box 179
Middlefield, CT 06455


General Office Hours

Monday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Emergency Information

Fire - Police - Medical --- Dial 911
Police / Resident State Troopers: 860-349-9685
State Police, Troop F, Westbrook: 860-399-2100
Animal Control: 860-349-1333